Tuesday, January 15, 2013

We Should Be More Like Superman

Dear Family,

Here are the answers to your questions.
 
Question #1: What advice do you have for the new teachers quorum president in our ward (aka Matthew Kenneth Larsen)?

I'm not really sure. Matt, you know these young men and you preside over them. The best I can tell you is to pray about and for them and think about them often. I try to think about investigators and other people we work with as I am falling to sleep, oddly enough it's a great time to receive inspiration.

Question #2: How many members attend the Duston ward each week?
Somewhere around 130 members attend Duston ward each week, I would say that is the biggest congregation I have been in. That is except for Cambridge during the summer when 40 extra BYU students came.

Question #3: Have you continued working with the Chinese student who stopped you on the street?

Yes, she and her friend came to church yesterday. They had an appointment so they only stayed for the Sacrament Meeting, but the ward was so excited. They came up to me at the end of the meeting and said, "Do you know who those Chinese sisters are?" A few members introduced themselves before they left. We will see them again on Wednesday.

I sent the pictures 2 weeks ago. I just asked to send it the cheapest way, which may have been a mistake... I hope they didn't send it on a boat.

Speaking of Super Heroes, I was so excited when our Stake Patriarch spoke yesterday. He talked about Batman, Spiderman, and Superman. He said Heavenly Father wants us all to be like Superman. When a real disaster would happen, Superman would fly into the atmosphere and circle the world so fast it would turn back time and he would fix the problem before it happened. We can be like Superman by doing family history. Good, huh.

Speaking of our Stake Patriarch, we have this investigator that we had seen a couple times. We had gone with an 18 year old prospective Elder and in the teaching she always talked about how we are too young to teach her, haha. So we brought the Patriarch with us on Saturday, the lesson was amazing. She had a question she wanted to ask and he answered it without her even asking. I hope one day I can be that close to the Spirit.

The work has really been moving forward, we are having more people to teach, more people are coming to church, etc. Roger's baptism will be postponed just a little bit more, 1 or 2 weeks. We are thirsting for new investigators, and it is working pretty well. Yesterday I called a couple potential investigators that we had met quite a while back, a 90 something year old lady and her 57 year old son. It turns out that just before Christmas the son passed away. It was quite unexpected to call someone you saw doing just fine a few months before and they are now dead. We will go to see her on Tuesday and share the Plan of Salvation and try to give her some comfort.

We received training from President Jordan on Prayer last week during our interviews. I think that has a big part in why we are seeing more success now. During interviews President Jordan pretty much told me I will not be in Duston next transfer. I will be put with a missionary that needs help turning around their mission or with a new missionary.

Dave's moving to New York!? At least that gives me an excuse to visit. He better still come for a few camp outs.

Thanks for your support.

Elder Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment