Monday, August 20, 2012

Camera in My Face

Dear Family,

Question #1: What went on with the guy that put a camera in your face during the Olympics?

The guy came up to me and started asking me questions about what we were doing. For example:
Q: Are you going to an event today?
A: Nope.
Q: What are you doing here if you aren't going to an event?
A: We are missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Q: What sort of things are you teaching?
A: The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. 
Not exactly the kind of thing they would put on TV, but a fun experience.

Question #2: What are the guidelines for texting in your mission?

We use texting for missionary purposes only, we are to always call before texting. I don't believe there is a limit.

Question #3: What has been the hardest thing this week?

A new mission goal is to work with the members a lot more in our work. It's really exciting and I love the idea, it is just quite new. We used to do all the work ourselves. We have been on missions for a while, but Elder Montgomery and I feel like greenies when it comes to member work.

Matt, I used to feel the same way in the summer, wishing people would play more night games, etc. But it's great that you are going on a campout this week. Campouts are great memory makers and a great chance to bond with others and nature. Develop a love for the scriptures. If no one wants to go and do something active, that's a great thing to do. As a missionary, sometimes I wish I had some more free time so I could go in the mountains, study, ponder, pray, and record. Take advantage of the time you have. Buy an extra milkshake at Slackers and enjoy it for me.

I am so pleased to see the power of the spirit in action. This week Solomon brought his partner Lea to a lesson, we are now teaching them both together. They have some hurdles to overcome for baptism, but they are willing to do what is required. This is the Lord's work.

Gareth has 3 weeks until his baptism, he is eager to be baptized, motivated by his family. We were able to teach a pump up lesson in which we watched "Between Heaven and Earth" (a dvd about temples). He has a great desire to go there some day. In the past smoking has been a big problem but he will think of his family and the temple when he is tempted.

I have such a desire for those we teach to be happy. I feel so sad when they give up but I know that sometimes our work is planting seeds. I was asked the other day who I loved most, it really made me think. There are different types of love, I suppose. I love my family so much, but in a different way than investigators. Most of my family I don't have to worry so much about them spiritually. Investigators I am so concerned for their welfare in that way.

I'm glad the wedding went well. To be honest, I totally forgot Lexi was engaged. Good surprise.

I appreciate receiving your emails every week, I am strengthened by you. I am grateful for your examples.

I know that Jesus Christ died for us, I am convinced. I have felt the power of the Atonement in my life. I am sure that only through prayer can we know Spiritual Truth. It is through prayer that I have come to know the truthfulness of the Restoration. The First Vision did occur, it is reality to me. I don't understand why everyone doesn't believe in the Book of Mormon. I know it is true. We knew each other before this life.

Elder Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment