Monday, February 20, 2012

I Don't Want to Grow Up

Dear Family,

Here are the answers to your questions.

Question #1: Have you bought yourself any warm clothes that you need?

I got 2 pairs of warmer socks and cheap gloves, got sent thermals, and got a coat that was left in the Cambridge flat (it could have been Elder Sikahema's). Oh yeah, and my posh newsies flat cap.

Question #2: Have you tried much British candy? What's your favorite?

They have some posh chocolate here, Cadbury's and loads of other good stuff. At home I didn't care for chocolate...Hersey's...but here chocolate is amazing.

Question #3: What was your talk in Sacrament Meeting about last week?

I wasn't feeling good at all the days preceding the talk, so I didn't really prepare. That morning I spent 5 minutes making bullet points to talk about, then on the stand I felt prompted to change. I instead told the story of the power going out and I was alone downstairs in the dark til I was rescued by Joey. I related that with how we can be instruments in the Saviour's hands to rescue others and I read my favourite scripture, Alma 29:9-10:

I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy.

And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me, yea, even that he hath heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me.

No, no, no, no, here in England losing your lunch is literal. We were sitting in an appointment and my lunch that was in the kitchen on the table was all of the sudden gone. The other Elders were there and claimed not to touch it...right. OK...it is the same here. Haha.

President and Sister Patch just sent us an email that the new President will be a guy called David Jordan. He was previously a Mission President in Brazil.

Sounds like the little ones are very active these days, and cazy (that's how Savannah says crazy). I can't believe that Heidi and Steve are buying a house in Arkansas. Here I thought we would all move to England as a family. I love this place.

Today we will be going to Central London for a few hours. This time we are going to go to the Tower of London. I just saw it in quick passing on moves one day and it looks quite posh. I will try to put off my natural man and take some pictures to send you guys again. We may be going around there with a member that apparently was a Jewish prince back in the day. It should be fun.

Speaking of meeting amazing people on a mission, last week we taught a guy from the west of Pakistan that has some amazing background. He has traveled the world as a trader, owned a super posh hotel/restaurant in Pakistan, and almost got killed with a posh Chinese business man. Because it is so dangerous there he came here and has to start from scratch where no one really knows who he is. But us, haha. At this exact point in time he doesn't have much freedom to meet with us because he isn't living with people who are very pro-Christianity, if you know what I mean.

I am still trying to fight my cold these days, our past few days have been very good though. Missionary work in this area is going fantastic. Our 16 year-old investigator Barbara's mom as of now will not give permission for her to be baptized, so we will fast with her tonight.

This coming Wednesday is Zone Conference, I am as usual very excited for that. I look forward to hearing President Patch speak. There isn't much better for me as a missionary than to hear him speak. After he talks I just want to go and try that much harder to be better.

They have been remodeling the Hyde Park chapel for a long time now. They should be putting a statue of Christ in the visitors center just like the one in Salt Lake. I hear that at the rededication it is very likely that someone from the First Presidency or an Apostle will do it! How amazing would that be? That should be in April, when there is also a Mission Leadership Meeting, which that person could come to.

This past week at our chapel they had some people trying out to be in the New Testament movie they are filming in Utah. That sounds like it's going to be a really proper good movie. One of the parts was for Stephen found in Acts 7, amazing. I should have gotten some pictures with all the people so that if any of them did make it, I could show people a picture of me and them, but hence I am not a big picture taker.

Things are going great here. I don't want to grow up, I always try to deny things like that. I always tell people I have been out about 6 months...I don't like thinking about how long I have really been out. Maybe I'll tell people I'm about 19 as well. That's not really lying, is it?

I have been reading Exodus, it is really good stuff.

Love you guys,

Elder Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment