Monday, July 4, 2011

No Weetos For a Month

Dear Family,

Here are the answers to your questions.

Question #1: How much money do you get each month for expenses?

We get 110 pounds for food and whatnot a month and 66 pounds a transfer for travel.

Question #2: Does England have the same hymn book that we use in the U.S.?

I think the hymn book is the same but they do have God Save the King/Queen, haha.

Question #3: What do you do for dinner usually? Do you eat at members' homes? When you eat at your flat do you have to wait until 9:00 pm?

I have total so far eaten at members' homes 7 or 8 times. We have both elders and sisters in this area. Sisters usually get the benefit of more dinners because they are girls and homes with only a woman can't really feed us. This used to bother me but now I have a love with working so I don't mind much at all. Dinner can sometimes feel like wasted time. We got fed curry (one couple is vegetarian), pizza, and other chicken on rice type things. At the flat I usually have a pizza or chicken or something. We don't have to wait till 9 to eat. In fact we have an hour for lunch and dinner during the day. Rather than doing that, we have a half hour lunch and wait til 9 to eat. We get about 4 pounds a day, not quite even that. Breakfast and dinner don't usually cost much, but if we eat in the city center, it usually costs at least 2 pounds. Don't even ask what happens on p-day and district meeting. We usually end up spending 7 pounds at a buffet or something. Though I do get my money's worth . . . you know I do.

This week was another hard working week. Things are going pretty well. Who would have thought that I, of all people, could ever like to work. Now that the working part is second nature, I need to focus on getting all that I can out of that work. I am focusing on things we can do to get solid investigators, teach with more interaction, and many other things to make our days even more effective.

We have an investigator who was having a hard time with tea so we taught about fasting and did a fast with her. Fasting is quite hard when all you do is walk around all day, which I know made it even more meaningful. I also promised that if she would stop drinking tea I would support her by not eating my Weetos for a month. Easy as it sounds it sure isn't. I have a full box of Weetos, and for a few days that's all I had because we couldn't go shopping, so I basically ate tortilla chips for breakfast.

Another investigator has a hard time giving up tea so we will do something with her as well. Luckily it's kind of my companion's turn, which is extremely fortunate. Nothing has been set up yet, but she is trying to get him to not eat meat for the rest of his mission if she quits tea for her whole life. Anyone who truly knows me knows that would be about the hardest thing I could ever do. I can barely imagine one day without meat. Although, I may find a bad habit I have and quit that to support her.

I'm still learning languages. Right now I am working on Chinese, Nepalese, and Portuguese. I like reading the Book of Mormon verse by verse English to Portuguese.

Happy Birthday, DAD! Even though you said it in the email, I will let you know I remembered. I will celebrate your birthday by working the whole day and teaching people about the gospel. Haha. I will celebrate the 4th by having p-day, doing some food shopping, going around town and whatnot, and hopefully a little time to relax. And of course teach a few lessons later.

Matt, I think it would be best if you just flew over to Cambridge and joined us to make a trio. We would baptize the whole place. You don't even know how much I wish I had done more before I left. Study the scriptures, open your mouth, study Preach My Gospel, preach the gospel, spend time with those you really care about. It's funny to hear you talk about me refusing to go to St. George, I wouldn't refuse now.

About the pictures. . . I will send them next week seeing as I finally can charge my camera again. Have a great 4th, have a good birthday. I know my week will be awesome.

Elder Larsen

No comments:

Post a Comment